I am using WordPress for quite sometime.The journey started with this blog.I have written few WordPress plugins as well.But there were few WordPress features which I became aware of recently.I was not aware of initially.They were very basic ones.There were people who were using it with good effect.But I was not able to cash into it.Also not too many blog posts are written on this topic.
Reason is everyone thinks that these features are so basic that people might be aware of them.But having faced the situation myself I know this is not the case.This lead me to pen down the features at one place.This would be as a memory refresher for me.It may also be helpful for visitors.
Password Protect your post
By default the post or page you write is visible to everyone.Not too many bloggers use WordPress to write private posts or posts protected using password.But there are cases you want to protect particular post from everyone.Person having the password should only be able to see the content of the post.You can charge money for that or write content specific to particular group of people.You can follow below steps to do this
- You are familiar with Publish button on New Post page.
- Within the Publish block above the Publish button you can see Visibility: Public option
- Click on the Edit link beside the Visibility : Public option.
- You will see options as shown in below image.You need to select the option as shown and give password of your choice.People will have to enter this password to view your content.
Auto publish Post in Future
This is one the less known feature.I myself was not using it for quite sometime.I used to publish post the moment I finished writing and reviewing it.But timing does matter.Facebook has started showing the time most of your Facebook page fans are online.Should not you post your new post to Facebook page on that day around that time.
Yes this would give better exposure to your post.So you can schedule publish time for your posts.To schedule publish time of your posts follow below steps
- As mentioned above on New Posts page on Publish tab you can see Publish immediately option
- Click on the Edit option next to Publish immediately option.
- You can see the
- There you can set Publish Time of the post.
Marking posts for review
For quite sometime I was aware of only two post status WordPress offers Draft and Published.But I was not aware of Post Status Pending Review.Whenever we write a new post the default the post status is Draft.The post status is changed to Published by WordPress after we hit the Publish button.
Recently I wanted to review some of my draft posts before publishing them.I had quite a few draft posts.I thought to maintain an excel sheet to track the pages to be reviewed and those which have been reviewed.But before starting that time consuming process I thought to dig into WordPress.After searching for quite sometime I came to know about Pending Review post status.
To make status of a post Pending Review follow below steps
- On the Publish tab mentioned and shown above you will find Status option
- Click on the Edit link of Status option
- From the drop down you can select Draft Status,Pending Review Status and Published Status
- Using this option you can also make a published post back to Draft.Then you can modify the post as per your wish Save the draft version and publish it as per your schedule
Deleting default WordPress category Uncategorized
Categories are used to structure posts.They should be meaningful and relevant to your post’s content.While writing any post a category is assigned to it.But in case no category is created or assigned to the blog post then default WordPress category is assigned to the post.
Uncategorized is default WordPress category.If you have not assigned any category to a post then this category is assigned to the blog post.It is good practice to delete this category and create a default category for your blog posts.
This is one of the task bloggers using WordPress should be doing but it is not that straight forward task as it seems to be.No do not get intimated this does not involve coding changes.
To delete default WordPress category Uncategorized follow below steps
- Log into your website’s dashboard as administrator.
- Navigate to option Settings –> Writing.
- On that page look for the option Default Post Category.
- It will be set to Uncategorized.
- Change the option by selecting other category from the drop down.Remember the category you select here can not be deleted.So choose only that category which is primary to your blog.
- Save the changes.
- Now go to option Posts –> Categories.
- You will see list of all your categories on the page.
- Select the category Uncategorized and delete it.
Assign WordPress posts of one category to other category
Changing name of category is simple task but assigning posts of one category (will be referred as Cat A from here on)to other(will be referred as Cat B from here on) seems to be tough process.But this is not the case.You should first make Cat B as your default category.To make Cat B as your default category follow below steps
- Go to Writing option under the Setting option of WordPress dashboard
- Set Default Post Category to Cat B and Save the Settings
Now you need to delete Cat A.This will assign all posts belonging to Cat A to the default Category.Since we have make Cat B as default category all posts belonging to Cat A will be assigned to Cat B.Is not this very simple? But I was not aware of this initially and thought to write SQL queries for this.But after exploring for simple option I found out this.
How to make WordPress post sticky
There are many themes out there which show Sticky posts or Features posts or Recent posts on the sliders.So how to make WordPress posts sticky is important.Follow below steps to make your post sticky
- Go to All posts and navigate to the post you want to make sticky
- You will see Quick Edit option below the post title.Click on the option
- On the right hand you will see Make this post sticky check box.
- Click on the box and update the post.
- That’s it.Pretty simple WordPress feature.
- In order to make the post non sticky you just need to disable the check box and update the post.
In case you want to make a new post Stick then instead of above process you should follow below approach
- In the Publish box mentioned above with image you can see the Visibility option.
- After clicking on Visibility option you can see three options Public,Private and Password Protected.
- Under Public option enable the check box Stick this post to the front page
- This will make your post sticky after publish.
I will be enhancing this post with more less known but important features from time to time.I would also like to hear from you.Feel free to share your thoughts and tricks.
Consider sharing the post in case you fount it useful.