Geo Tags are becoming important (it is stated that Bing is using these tags).These tags helps the search engine to identify your location and which in turn helps them to list your website in search results.For example let your website location is mentioned as Varanasi (one of the oldest city in world located in India) then searches made from the area near Varanasi will be termed as local searches relative to your website location.Now the search engine knows that your website is near to the search requests so it will list your website higher in the search results.This will increase traffic to your site.
Thus adding Geo Tags will benefit your site (it will not harm it anyways).To add these tags to your WordPress blog follow below steps
- Create your tags using Geo Tag generator or generate geo tag
- Copy the generated tags
- log into your wordpress website as administrator
- Go to Appearance — > Editor option of wordpress dashboard
- Open the header.php file in the editor
- Search for below line of code in your header.php file.Every wordpress theme has
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
- paste the tags you copied after the line shown above
- So your final code should look as shown below.Your tags will be slightly different (these are my tags so don’t place these on your website)
<meta name="geo.placename" content="Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India" /> <meta name="geo.position" content="25.317645;82.973914" /> <meta name="geo.region" content="IN-UP" /> <meta name="ICBM" content="25.317645, 82.973914" />
- Validate the tags you just added using the geo tag validator.If you are using caching plugins like W3 total cache or WP Super Cache then clear the cache before validating the website using the validator.If the code is invalid then regenerate it using the generator as stated above.
- If you are facing any issue in the validator step then feel free to contact me using the contact form.
- See your site getting listed higher in local search engine results