You might have seen notify me of follow-up comments check box on many websites.This option gives visitor a choice comments subscription to follow-up comments made on top of his/her comment.The notify me of follow-up comments sends email notification to visitors if a reply is posted on their comments.
Now this option is great way to increase traffic as well as user experience.
Lets understand this with a example.A visitor sees very interesting tutorial on your website and posted a query.If there is no option of follow-up comment notification he/she will not be able to know if a response is made.Visitor will search other sites for the issue and may not return to your site.He may end of asking same query elsewhere.
Now if you have this option enabled then visitor can subscribe to follow-up comments.In this case also he/she will search other places as in last case.But after your response he/she will be notified and one more visit is guaranteed.If the query of visitor is satisfied then you have a regular reader.It is highly likely that the person will click on your website (if it features in SERP for a query) thus increasing your CTR.This further pushes up your search ranking.
A satisfied reader will bring more reader with him (by offline referral and recommendations).This offline marketing of blog works great and is not dependent on algorithmic change of any search engine.You have heard of brand right.This small feature helps you create that with ease.
Now enough said about importance Comments subscription feature.Lets see how to enable this feature on your WordPress website
- The easiest way to have Comments subscription feature is installing subscribe to comments reloaded or jetpack plugin.
- Subscribe to comments reloaded plugin is just for this feature and Jetpack plugin provides hell lot of features out of which this is one.You can use either of them depending upon your need.
- Subscribe to comments reloaded plugin is very easy to configure and get working.So if you are not looking for other features offered by jetpack use subscribe to comments reloaded plugin.
- As mentioned jetpack is heavy plugin.After activating the plugin You will need to create wordpress.com account (free of cost) and connect that account with jetpack.
- After authorizing your account with wordpress.com.Click on the Jetpack menu option below dashboard.
- Activate the subscriptions option.After activation click on configure button and select options on page displayed.
- Jetpack displays two options one for follow-up comments and second for new post subscription (if you have checked both buttons).
So make your blog less dependent on Search Engine and make a step forward towards offline marketing and brand building through satisfied visitors using comment subscription feature.