Chitika is one of the oldest company in online advertising space.It was founded in year 2003.I have signed up an account with them during my initial blogging period.I had heard lot about them over internet and thought to give them a try.I am writing this post based on my experience with this advertising network.This is not sponsored review or anything just my experience and information which can help you in making decision.
Chitika – Signup and approval
Chitika does not have strict sign up requirement.Even small website or new website can apply for publisher account.They do not take much time to approve my account.But Chitika does have layers of publisher accounts.Best ads are shown to premium publishers (websites with loads of traffic or quality traffic).You can sign up for Chitika using this link (it is affiliate link).
Chitika ads type
Chitika ads can be clubbed into below group
- Banner ads — They are standard ad type.Chitika does not show banner ad but they show images with text.Below is example of banner ads.It does offer huge number of ad formats.In fact I have not seen so many ad formats.
- Mobile ads –These ads are displayed only if your website is viewed from mobile device.The ads are displayed on depending upon device not the site.This means if a user browses your website using mobile device ads will show up.You do not have to create mobile site for this.Entire mobile traffic of your website will get monetized.
- In text ads — You might be familiar with Infolinks or similar in text advertising network.Chitika offers Linx which is CPC (cost per click) based in text link ads.
- Hover ads — Hover ads are displayed on bottom right corner of your website.They remain at that place while the visitor is scrolling down your website.
- Highlight ads — Highlight ads get displayed when user selects some text on your website.It will get displayed below the user selected text area.
Chitika banner ads
Chitika mobile ads
The last three Chitika ads are clubbed as apps by them.They do offer wide range of ad format to choose from.
Compatibility with Google Adsense
Chitika is compatible with Google Adsense.You do not have to make any changes to your Adsense layout nor to Chitika ads to make them work together.They are compatible out of box.In fact it is claimed that using Chitika along with Adsense increases earnings.The reason cited is competition between the ad networks.Some people do complain lower Adsense CTR after using Chitika.So you might have to place them on your website and then decide the result.
Chitika Payment Terms
Chitika has low minimum payout threshold.The minimum payment threshold is $10 if payment method is PayPal.The minimum payment threshold is $50 if check payment method is selected.
Chitika Bonus Promo offers
Chitika offers excellent promo offers to their publishers from time to time.I have received two promo offers (worth mentioning)
- In May 2012 Chitika offered $5 startup bonus promo
- In 2012 itself it came with offer of paying double of your earning between Aug 1st and 30th Sept if your earning is less than $100.A good offer to small publisher indeed.
So you can get extra bucks and revenue generating offers from them.
Chitika publisher dashboard
Chitika does offer very simple and easy to use interface.The reporting is decent.They report traffic and clicks along with eCPM and your earning for each day.The data is also broken geography wise.But you will not get URL based reporting.But that does not is big drawback as majority of advertising networks provide this much details only.
Chitika referral program
Chitika offers referral program.You can earn 10% of your referral earning for 15 months.But the referral stats is not updated until referral is paid once.This is one area they should work on.Other advertising networks do show referral stats whether they have made money or not.
How to add Chitika ads on your website?
In case you are using WordPress then you can use one of below three options
- Using Chitika WordPress plugin
- Using Udinra Adsense Alternatives plugin (for mobile ads only)
- Using this post to add Chitika ads in between content.
Chitika Advantages and Disadvantages
They are old advertising network and reliable one too.There is no doubt that they pay you.All the things mentioned above do work in their favor.But there are some drawbacks as well.They do work great for product based sites (sites with product reviews etc) but not for other sites.This is one major drawback in their adoption.
Other area which they need to improve is recognition of international traffic (or traffic other than US).They are good choice for US traffic but not for traffic from India.Since I have majority of traffic from India I am reluctant to use them.
You should give them a try if you have a site for product reviews and majority of traffic is from US.This is best combination for them.For other sites it is advisable to use them and then see the performance.